So, I did my Thanksgiving food shopping today. 🙂 I decided that I just couldn’t put myself through the stress of shopping the day before Thanksgiving when every supermarket is going to be a madhouse…you know why?…because I’ve done it before! It was still pretty busy today (obviously), but nothing like the mayhem that will be tomorrow.
If you tried and tried but just couldn’t get that grocery shopping in by today, and you’re left with tomorrow…don’t fret! Here are some last minute recipes that will help make your life easier as you plan that fabulous Thanksgiving meal that everyone is looking forward to.
Or…if that dreaded event occurs where you find out (just a little too late) that Aunt Suzy is bringing your signature dish (or maybe just the dish you’d planned to make) and you have to come up with a replacement, fast! These recipes might be the lifesaver and stressless solution you need to have a sane Thanksgiving.
Either way, they all look yummy and easy which are two of my favorite words when it comes to food prep.
Let’s start with the drinks:
- 8 to 10 sugar cubes
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups cranberry juice
- 1 750-milliliter bottle sparkling rosé wine, champagne, or sparkling white grape juice
- Fresh cranberries (optional)
- 5 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 5 cups cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups guava juice or mango nectar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Honey (optional)
- Kumquats (optional)
- Lime slices (optional)
- 2 cups packaged peeled fresh baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1. In a medium saucepan, cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 5 minutes; drain in a colander.
2. In the same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots and orange marmalade. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until carrots are tender and glazed. Makes 4 servings.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 10-oz. bags prewashed spinach
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted, slivered almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Orange peel curl (optional)
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin
- 1 14-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. dried leaf sage, crushed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cracked black peppercorns, optional
- Fresh lime slices, optional
- 1 24-ounce package refrigerated mashed potatoes or 3 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 1 5.2-ounce container semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs (such as Boursin brand)
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Canned French-fried onions (optional)
-fried onions. Makes 4 to 6 servings.